10.8.09

Introduction to a new website

This is Karen's website. She is a curate in Chester. Chester is where my love for God began. My grandfather was a laypreacher in a church there not far from the river Dee and when I used to visit as a child, I would listen to him preach in this church and run up to the pulpit to offer him polo mints to keep him refreshed. No one seemed to mind me toddling to the front to do this.

I grew up spending weekends in Chester straing at bookshelves full of books about God, listening to the stories of my grandparents' missions in Ireland and their accounts of the miraculous at Lee Abbey.

My grandfather would read and snooze Sunday afternoons away whilst my Gran entertained us with her bead draw and allowed us to dress up in all her fur coats. I would then put on a show for the awakening grown-ups and pretend to be one very posh Madame Fa-la-la, all dressed up and bedecked with my Granny's jewels - such a lot of attention.

My grandfather would take us to Chester Cathedral to do brass rubbing and then we would be allowed to choose a cake to eat in Browns.

We would spend the summer dodging nettles across the field on the way to their moored up boat and sing 'Life on an ocean wave' aboord their funny little brown boat down the river Dee and moor up to picnic under overhanging tress, escaping the rain.

My granny would cook roast pork with the crispiest crackling and roast potatoes cooked in goose fat. Oh my goodness - how blessed were those times.

So reading about Karen has just brought back so many memories. Praise you, Father-God.

The post that I have read today from her is all about Jesus being the bread of life and it is beautifully written and makes me feel so grateful to God for his constant nourishment.

So look out for Karen and click on her at my blogroll.

And now I really must at last start writing the rest of my Deauteronomy essay!!

1 comment:

Curate Karen said...

Thanks, Rachel. And what lovely memories of Chester! I would love it if someone fed me Polo mints while I preached - how wonderful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.

.
A little background reading so we might mutually flourish when there are different opinions