4.7.09

Seriously cheesy stuff...

We went to 'Twin Lakes' today, which is a theme park for little kids and every year 'Destiny Kids' put on a worship slot on site for an hour and a half. We always arrive to eat our sandwiches as they begin and then join in with lots of action songs about how great Jesus is etc. The lyrics are very cheesy but very catchy and are aimed at the under 12s.

There was a lad of 12 with an electric guitar who had written his own song and it really was very good. His name was Joel. It was great for my kids to see Joel because he was cute and trendy but loves Jesus. My four year old is just completely accepting of Christianity, she knows no different. The school my girls attend has a really obvious Christian ethos because the head and his wife are Catholic and it is a private school so in some ways does not have to conform to the pressure that the state system is under to tread a very inclusive line re faith or just not include faith at all, which seem to be the only choices. So at school and at home there is a Christian ethos.

My seven year old, on the other hand, is just beginning to distinguish between what is cool and what is not cool and sometimes Christianity is not cool so I was really pleased to see her joining in today with the songs, not all of them but she did like Joel and managed to last an hour of the hour and a half, even saying, 'actually, I've changed my mind, let's just watch the last bit', before we scooted off for the mini roller-coaster and train-rides. When the main musical influence for seven year olds at the moment is High School musical with its:
I want fabulous,
That is my simple request,
All things fabulous,
Bigger and better and best,
I need something inspiring to help me get along,
I need a little fabulous is that so wrong?

Now adults might get the irony here. The character wanting to be fabulous is quite obviously shallow and deserving her comeuppance but I don't think all seven year olds are going to get the subtlety.

So, quite honestly, I'm quite grateful for lyrics like these, no matter how cheesy they are:
Jesus, you're my superhero
My love for you will never end
You shine like the brightest star
You're my bestest ever friend

...or at least it went something like that...

Thanks 'Destiny Kids' - it all helps!

2 comments:

Tim Goodbody said...

Am working on gospel presentation based around the first song from High School Musical 1. Will let you know when it's done

Rev R Marszalek said...

I look forward to it. Its influence is so huge with the kids - my girls are always putting on American accents in their games and wondering about how 'faaab -u - lous' they are!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.

.
A little background reading so we might mutually flourish when there are different opinions