If in doubt, just smile
- Turn up to church ten minutes early, then if you are at the wrong church, you can still make it to the right one and no one will notice
- Eat plenty of breakfast before downing half a pint of remaining communion wine on a Sunday morning
- Accept the 'you can't remember my name game' - ask for the first letter, they will not mind
- Just use a loud voice, they might think you know what you're talking about (not convinced this really works)
- Go to short meetings via long journeys so you can tell God exactly what you're feeling to some very loud music on the way and way back
- Be prepared to drink a lot of tea and have strategies ready for the polite refusal of cake if it's your third slice that day
- Try the informal/formal look by pushing your dog collar into your shirt with just a little sticking out and your collar turned back - this says 'Yes, I am the new curate but hey, I know how to have fun!' (Maybe)
- Send google diary to your phone and you'll always know what's coming up next with its reminder settings
- Make friends with the owners of a very nice coffee shop who will be happy for you to work there between appointments
- Keep up with the latest songs so that 'My God is a great big God' - gets supplemented with some other alternatives - ban your own kids from singing the classics around the house ...
Actually - I really love it!