23.3.10

Hooking up with Hooker


Well, it seems like Richard Hooker is a reasonable kind of bloke. It's doing me quite a lot of theological good, reading this champion of the Via media, which is what some scholars claim him to be, whilst others deny.

Whilst I have trod the wide path of Anglicanism all my life, my husband, whom I met at tender 16, was somewhat popish, Polish Roman Catholic and then my Christian renewal came, in part, through the teaching of a rather reformed, pro-Calvin expression of Anglicanism (and Nicky Gumbel can claim some credit too), so I am enjoying the reasonableness of Richard Hooker.

I am only part way through a massive stack of photocopying and reading, so I am yet to really get to grips with how his theological method is significant for Anglicanism today, but I suspect I am fast becoming something of a Richard Hooker fan. Well, at least there has been nothing about him to cause me to theologically shudder yet and the shudders I had, with Catholicism and Calvinism, so that's a blessed relief.

What do you think? Anything I am yet to encounter that might shock and terrify?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.

.
A little background reading so we might mutually flourish when there are different opinions