27.6.08

Bishop of Rochester, Dr Michael Nazir-Ali on how to read the Bible and be Church


“what lies behind the text, why was a particular text put together, what were the purposes of those who were writing it, what were the aural traditions. . . Then, what is in the text: a careful study of the grammar, of the literary values; and what is in front of the text, how we relate it to ourselves, our culture, our context. . .

“We are faced, in a changing situation, where people want to be Church with those who are like them...”

“But there is one condition, and that is that this is not the only way to be Church. If you want to be Church with those who are like you, you also have to be Church with those who are unlike you.”


These are very wise words and perhaps as I mature, I will find it easier to be Church with those who are unlike me, we all find it hard, I guess, but we need to keep working on it. I realise I am perhaps one of the worst people here, not heeding my own advise but I am conscious of this.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.

.
A little background reading so we might mutually flourish when there are different opinions